SOS Children’s Villages Greece
Member: NGO Premium
12-14, Karagiwrgi Servias str., 105 62 Athens, Greece
SOS Children’s Villages Greece is a member of SOS Children’s Villages International which is currently active in 134 countries. SOS Children’s Villages have been operating in Greece since 1975, with the aim to help children at risk who have been abandoned or whose families are unable to take care of them, and provide them with a new and permanent home.
Children living in SOS Children's Villages are taken care of on a continuous and consistent basis from childhood until they are properly prepared, morally, socially and professionally, and are able to live on their own.
SOS Children’s Villages’ Principles
We believe that every child should grow up within a family with love, respect and security. Our family approach in the SOS Children’s Village is based on four principles that were defined back in 1949 by Hermann Gmeiner, SOS Children’s Villages’ founder.
- The Mother: each child has a caring parent. The SOS mother builds a close relationship with every child entrusted to her, and provides the security, love and stability that each child needs.
- Brothers and sisters: girls and boys of different ages live together as brothers and sisters, with natural brothers and sisters always staying within the same SOS family. These children and their SOS mother build emotional ties that last a lifetime.
- The House: the house is the family’s home, with its own unique feeling, rhythm and routine. Under its roof, children enjoy a real sense of security and belonging. Children grow and learn together, sharing responsibilities and all the joys and sorrows of daily life.
- The Village: SOS families live together, forming a supportive village environment where children enjoy a happy childhood. They also live as integrated and contributing members of the local community. Through his or her family, village and community, each child learns to participate actively in society.
In addition, since 2011, due to the financial crisis, we have extended our programs in SOS Children’s Villages and we offer families and children, from Crete to Thrace, parents’ counseling, psychological and psychotherapeutic support to children and parents, educational assistance, and material assistance (food, clothes, etc.), with the aim to strengthen these families and prevent the abandonment of children.
In total, we operate the following programs in Greece:
- 4 SOS Children’s Villages in Vari (Attica), Plagiari (Thessaloniki), Alexandroupolis and Heraklion
- 2 Youth Houses in P. Faliro and Thessaloniki
- 7 Social Centers for families in crisis in Athens, Alexandroupolis, Heraklion, Komotini, Kalamata, Piraeus and Thessaloniki
- SOS - ELIZA Home for abused babies & infants in Athens
All our expenses, concerning the running cost and maintenance or expansion of our care programs for children, depend exclusively on donations by individuals or companies.
You may find more information about SOS Children’s Villages Greece in www.sos-villages.gr