Pediatric Trauma Care (PTC)
Member: NGO Premium
Gytheiou Street 1A, GR-152 31 Halandri, Athens, Greece
Pedtrauma is a non-profit, non-governmental organization which was founded in November 1995 in Athens by a small number of doctors and parents. Its sole purpose is to raise awareness on children's accidents in Greece, reduce their number and severity and to improve care once an accident has occurred.
From 2010 up to the present date over 480.000 children have benefited from our Charity.
Statistics show that up to 500,000 children are injured every year through car accidents, falls, burns, drowning, electrocution and poisoning. About 700 accidents are fatal and 3.000 end in permanent disability. In a country with a population of roughly 10.5 million people this number is huge.
"Pedtrauma" is making a great effort to change the above statistics through the implementation of the following:
a) By opening Trauma Centers in all the major Public Children’s Hospitals in Athens and throughout Greece.
b) By upgrading and equipping the Pediatric Departments and Clinics of the Hospitals and the Health Centers with the necessary machinery.
c) By financing seminars where specialized doctors train surgeons, doctors, nurses, and Ambulance Paramedics on how to help the injured children the fastest and best way possible. We have already managed to train 1.510 doctors, nurses, and Ambulance Paramedics.
d) By educating children on trauma prevention. In particular, we visit schools and talk to children, teachers and parents on how to prevent accidents from happening. To date we have spoken to 43.780 children and 3.060 teachers and parents. It has been statistically proven that by introducing Trauma Prevention into schools the number and severity of accidents occurring has been reduced by up to 50%.
More specifically we have managed to upgrade and equip 36 Departments in 31 Hospitals / Trauma Centers:
Trauma Centers : We have built and equipped 16 Trauma Centers in the following Hospitals:
- "Paidon Pentelis", thanks to the sponsorship of John V. Vardinogiannis (year: 2011).
- "Panagiotis & Aglaia Kyriakou", thanks to the "Stavros Niarchos" Foundation (year: 2012).
- ''Ippocration'' Thessaloniki's General Hospital, thanks to ‘’OTE-COSMOTE’’ (year: 2014).
- The University Hospital "PAGNI" in Irakleion, Crete, thanks to the Companies ‘’Norton Rose Fulbright Greece’’, ‘’Hellenic Petroleum’’ and an Anonymous donor (year: 2014).
- The ‘’University Hospital Evrou’’ in Alexandroupolis, thanks to the ‘’John S. Latsis Public Benefit Foundation’’ (year: 2014).
- The ‘’Andreas Papandreou’’ General Hospital in Rhodes, thanks to the Companies ‘’Hellenic Petroleum’’, ‘’Norton Rose Fulbright Greece’’ and ‘’John S. Latsis Public Benefit Foundation’’ (year: 2015).
- The ‘’Axillopouleio’’ General Hospital in Volos, thanks to the Company ‘’Norton Rose Fulbright Greece’’ (year: 2016).
- The General Hospital of Lamia thanks, to the Family George Giouroukou (year: 2016).
- The ‘’Karamandaneio’’ General Hospital in Patras, thanks to the ‘’OTE Group of Companies’’ (year: 2016).
- The University General Hospital of Larissa, thanks to the ‘’OTE Group of Companies’’ (year: 2016).
- The ‘’Vostanio’’ General Hospital in Mytilini (year: 2016).
- The Corfu General Hospital, thanks to the hotel MarBella Corfu (year: 2016).
- The General Hospital of Karpenisi, thanks to the ‘’OTE Group’’ (year: 2017).
- The General Hospital of Chalkidiki, thanks to Sani Resort & Ikos Resorts (year: 2017).
- The ’Andreas Papandreou’’ General Hospital of Pyrgos, thanks to the Company ‘’Norton Rose Fulbright Greece’’ (year: 2017).
- The General Hospital of Livadeia, thanks to the Company MYTILINEOS S.A. (year: 2018).
Pediatric Departments: We have upgraded 13.
Pediatric Clinics: We have upgraded 4.
Intensive Care Units / Neonatal Units Level II: We have upgraded 3.
We have offered 595 machines and equipment to the Hospitals’ Pediatric Departments.
The total cost of our project from 2010 up to the present date comes to € 1.694.989.
Our future goals are the following:
- To create Trauma Centers and to equip the Health Centers at:
1) General Hospital of Larissa : to complete the Trauma Center
2) General Hospital of Trikala
3) General Hospital of Tripolis
4) General Hospital of Kefalonia
5) University General Hospital ‘’ATTIKON’’ (covered)
6) General Hospital of Santorini
7) General Hospital of Serres (covered)
8) General Hospital of Kastoria
9) General Hospital of Filiates (Igoumenitsa)
10) General Hospital of Arta
11) Health Center of Paxoi
12) Health Center of Samothraki (covered)
13) General Hospital of Karditsa
14) General Hospital of Kilkis (covered)
To finance the seminars where specialized doctors train surgeons, doctors, nurses, and Ambulance Paramedics on how to help the injured children the fastest and best way possible.
To continue educating children, parents and teachers on trauma prevention.
If you wish to join or support our project by making a donation, please contact us at the numbers 210 - 6741933 & 210 - 6740118 or by sending email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our work seems to be growing daily as more and more Hospitals request our help. The situation in the Greek Pediatric Hospitals, though better than a few years ago, is still pretty dire.