The Smile of the Child
Member: NGO Premium
Voluntary Children's Association
10, Zinonos Eleatou Street, GR-151 24 Maroussi, Athens, Greece
The Smile of the Child presented the Programme of “Pediatric Care at Home”
The Aristotle University of Thessaloniki and “The Smile of the Child” presented the Programme of “Pediatric Care at Home” jointly implemented for children with chronic health problems and serious diseases
The true value of “Pediatric Care at Home” for every child with a health problem: a "kiss of life" to the children and their families that are going through a real ordeal
A joint event organized by “The Smile of the Child”, the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki and the 3rd Pediatric Clinic of the Hippocrates Hospital of Thessaloniki was successfully held on Friday, 17 March 2017. The main goal of the event was to present the “Pediatric Care at Home” programme. Representatives of security and law enforcement bodies, the armed forces, the Holy Orthodox Metropolis of Thessaloniki, the Prefecture of Central Macedonia, prosecutorial and judicial authorities, as well as representatives of pediatric clinics in the city of Thessaloniki took part in this event.
Professor Pericles A. Mitkas, Rector of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, greeted the event highlighting the importance of cooperating with “The Smile of the Child”, while he thanked the volunteers, the medical personnel, the rescuers and all those who contributed to the realization of the “Pediatrics at Home” action and its services to children in need. The Vice-Rector of the University and Professor at the Faculty of Medicine of the Aristotle Univesity, Mrs. Paraskevi Argyropoulos-Pataka, referred to the "good timing", as the initiative will bring like-minded people together, hence contributing to the creation of an overall better society. Mr. Lampros Tsogkas, Head of the Prosecution of Thessaloniki, thanked and congratulated the President of the Organization of “The Smile of the Child”, Mr. Costas Yannopoulos, for the excellent cooperation with the prosecutorial authorities, while he referred to the daily efforts of the prosecutors for minors.
The Head of the 3rd Pediatric Clinic of the Hippocrates Hospital of Thessaloniki, Professor Ioannis Tsanakas, referred to the diseases that require the long hospitalization of children and explained the needs that led to the development of the programme “Pediatric Care at Home” and, more specifically, the way in which this action can help parents to improve the quality of life of children and themselves by reducing the costs of treatments and the visits to hospitals. He also referred to the upgrading of the programme and its services following the cooperation agreement signed between the Organization “The Smile of the Child” and the Foundation “Kaiti Papapostolou”.
The President of “The Smile of the Child”, Mr. Costas Yannopoulos, presented in brief the actions of the Organization that aim to provide support to children in need daily and across the country. This is made possible not only thanks to the daily efforts of the scientific personnel of the Organization, its supporters and volunteers, but also thanks to the synergies with institutional and non-institutional actors established through specific memoranda of cooperation. Mr. Yannopoulos highlighted that “The Smile of the Child” is willing to support and serve the institutions and their services in their daily struggle and efforts, with respect. Based on concrete examples and personal experiences of doctors he explained how the “Pediatric Care at Home” action will make these children feel happy again as any other child.
Parents of children with chronic health problems who have been supported through the “Pediatric Care at Home” and the staff of the programme shared their personal experiences during a very emotional moment in the event and referred to the way this support has helped them in their daily struggle.
During the event the actors who contributed to the realization of the “Pediatric Care at Home” programme were awarded. More specifically:
● Professor Pericles A. Mitkas from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki for his precious cooperation, support and the enhancement of the actions of the “Pediatric Care at Home”
● Mr. Georgios Georgakopoulos, commissioner in the area of Health in Brussels, who has substantially contributed to the initiation and implementation of the action since its very first steps back in 2011.
● Mr. Nikos Papapostolou, who supports “The Smile of the Child” with great sensitivity on a personal and business level through his company, and mainly the actions of health services of the Organization. Thanks to his contribution “The Smile of the Child” provides excellent services to every child with a health problem. However, Mr. Papapostolou is a special supporter of the Organization for one more reason. In memory of his late wife he ensured the substantial coverage of needs for the initiation of the “Pediatric Care at Home” action.
● Mrs. Athina Paraskevopoulou, who donated a residence to “The Smile of the Child” in the memory of her two children who left this world. The apartment accommodates families who live outside the city of Thessaloniki and their children who face serious health problems.
● Mrs. Foteini Psarra, who made, in memory of her children, a financial donation for a specialized Mobile Unit necessary for the action of the “Pediatric Care at Home”.
● Mr. Ken Jebsen, journalist from Germany, who organizes actions of support for social causes through the radio station KEN FM. In this framework, he met with Mr. Athanasios Giannis and once he learned about the actions of the Organization he decided to mobilize his audience in a fundraising effort to support the “Pediatric Care at Home” action.
● Mr. Athanasios Giannis, a Greek from Germany, medical researcher and HonD at the University of Patras. Since 2002 he is a Professor at the Institute of Organic Chemistry and Chemistry of Natural Products in Leipzig. Since 2015 he supports “The Smile of the Child” by mobilizing his contacts and in close cooperation with Ken Jebsen.
● Mrs. Maria Tsitsiouli and the nursery team of the 3rd Pediatric Clinic of the Hippocrates Hospital of Thessaloniki who ar e selflessly standing by every child offering precious care.
● Mrs. Maria Sdougka and the team of doctors of the Children’s Intensive Care Unit of the Hippocrates Hospital of Thessaloniki struggling on a daily basis for every child.
● Mr. Dimitris Koliouskas, Head of Department of the Pediatric Oncology Department of the Hippocrates Hospital of Thessaloniki who is directly cooperating with “The Smile of the Child”
● Mrs. Roula Tzona, President of the Association of Cystic fibrosis in Northern Greece. She is leading an important effort for children in Northern Greece who are suffering from cystic fibrosis.