The Smile of the Child
Member: NGO Premium
Voluntary Children's Association
10, Zinonos Eleatou Street, GR-151 24 Maroussi, Athens, Greece
The Smile of the Child supported 60.543 children and their families
"For more than 22 years we stand by every child in need by giving immediate solutions. We support the institutions by setting our services at their full disposal as well as at the society, whereas at the same time they punish us by imposing on us enormous and unreasonable taxes. I do not refer to the current government, but to a longstanding situation! It is about time to unite our forces along with other organizations certified for their work to put an end to the unjust taxation that works to the detriment of the children that we support” said the President of the BoD of “The Smile of the Child” Mr. Costas Yannopoulos.
“During the 1st Semester of 2017, we managed to support 60.543 children and their families timely, holistically by ensuring their dignity. Behind these figures are children! There are children at risk, children in need, children with serious health problems, children with welfare problems. We stood by them and we will continue to do so by giving solutions with quality and care, but not in an opportunistic way! We struggle under extreme conditions always in cooperation with the institutional actors with the goal to ensure for children what they deserve”.
The statistics of the Organization during the 1st Semester of 2017 were announced today at a press conference held in the Mobile Lab of Information, Education, and Technology of the Organization at the outdoor facilities of Zappeion Megaron Hall of Athens. During the event “The Smile of the Child” presented its work, the total number of children and families supported during these 6 six months of the year and the entire spectrum of its actions for every child victim of violence, missing child, children with a health problem and children in poverty.
“The Smile of the Child” provided its services to a total number of 60.543 children and their families across the country, regardless of ethnicity, religion or other criterion based on a team of 487 specialized professionals and 2.381 volunteers working daily in cooperation with the institutional actors, and thanks to the support by citizens and companies.
More specifically, and in response to the additional needs of children stemming from the refugee crisis, “The Smile of the Child” based predominantly on its existing funding resources from within the country maintained in numbers and quality its actions and services and managed to support during the 1st Semester of 2017 5.291 refugee and migrant children across 16 different areas across Greece.
More specifically, according to the statistical data for the 1st semester of 2017:
“The Smile of the Child” next to every child victim of Violence:
• The European Helpline for Children and Adolescents 116111 received 3.117 calls
• The European Helpline for Children and Adolescents 116111 offered counseling services on issues related to children to 1.598 individuals. 22% of the callers sought guidance from our Organization on issues related to behavioral problems
• Interactive Preventative Interventions were carried out to 24.824 children in the framework of 606 visits across Greece with the participation of children, Parents and Guardians’ Associations, Teachers’ Associations and the public.
• The National Helpline for Children SOS 1056 received 123.113 calls. 35,5% of these calls concerns report for children at risk
• The National Helpline for Children SOS 1056 received 375 reports of serious cases of abuse related to 705 children in total. 41% concern children 0-6 years-old. 56% of these reports concerned neglect/abandonment of children, while in 38,5% of these cases the mother was the victimizer
• 67 direct interventions were carried out for 102 children at risk. 94% needed an immediate removal from their family environment.
• 78 requests for shelter of 126 children at risk. 47,5% of the cases concerned children in neglect
• 296 children are currently raised in 10 Homes of the Organization nationwide. 35 children became members of our family in the 1st semester of 2017
• 57 of our children more than 18 years old are continuously supported by “The Smile of the Child” parallel to their studies and employment
• 151 children received 3.508 therapeutic services from the multi-disciplinary team of “The Smile of the Child”
“The Smile of the Child” next to every Missing Child:
• Interactive preventative interventions were offered to 772 children in the framework of 112 visits nationwide with the participation of children, Parents and Guardians’ Associations, Teachers’ Associations and the public.
• The European Hotline for Missing Children 116000 received 4.160 calls
• The European Hotline for Missing Children 116000 received 64 requests for the support of search and rescue operations for missing children. 58 children were found (91%). It is worth noting that a tragic end occurred for two children.
“The Smile of the Child” next to every child with a health problem:
• 8.941 children were medically examined nationwide and free-of-charge in the framework of 12.975 medical check-ups provided in 3 mobile medical units of preventive medicine (Multi-medical Unit “Hippocrates”, Dentistry, Ophthalmological and ENT Units). “The Smile of the Child” cooperated with 271 doctors of different specialties and dentists across Greece who volunteered by offering their services for children.
• “The Smile of the Child” conducted transfers of 1.479 newborns and children, responding to 2.843 calls and covering 165.489 km! Out of the 1.479 children 365 were newborns and infants.
• 748 children with health problems were supported and the Organization responded to 3.190 requests. 176 of these children had no health insurance!
• 4.907 children received recreational activities through 8.560 actions in 6 Hospitals in Athens, Thessaloniki and Patras.
• 114 children received the services of “Pediatric Care at Home” program
“The Smile of the Child” next to every child who lives in poverty or is threatened by poverty:
• “The Smile of the Child” supported 13.680 children and their families nationwide. 822 children were supported for the first time. 75,9% of the families were families of unemployed parents or parents with an insecure employment status.
• 48 children were provided with services in 3 Daycare Homes in Ilia, Agrinio, and Mytikas, respectively. 83% of these children took part in this action due to social reasons.
At the same time, 2.057 children participated in recreational activities at the Play Area of the Organization at Athens International Airport.