The Smile of the Child
Member: NGO Premium
Voluntary Children's Association
10, Zinonos Eleatou Street, GR-151 24 Maroussi, Athens, Greece
The Smile of the Child celebrates the European 112 Day 2018
European 112 Day is celebrated and “The Smile of the Child”, member of the European Emergency Number Association (EENA) actively participates to a pan-European awareness raising campaign on the operation and services of the 112 number. The European Emergency Number 112 is interconnected with the National Helpline for Children SOS 1056, the European Hotline for Missing Children 116000 and the European Helpline for Children and Adolescents 116111, operated in Greece by “The Smile of the Child” and recognized as emergency lines.
Some interesting facts about the European Emergency Number 112:
- It is available free of charge, 24/7, anywhere in the European Union. Citizens can dial 112 to reach the emergency services, including the police, emergency medical services and the fire brigade;
- Specialized personnel answers the calls in one of the main EU languages;
- The European emergency number can be reached by landline phones as well as mobiles;
- 112 Number operates in Greece and provides services to visitors in the country;
- 112 Number is a part of the GSM standard and all GSM-compatible telephone handsets are able to dial 112 even when locked or, in some countries, with no SIM card present.
More than half of Europeans do not know they can dial 112 anywhere in the EU, whereas according to a recent survey, 70% has not come across any information about the European emergency number 112 in their country. With the increasing number of Europeans travelling throughout the EU, awareness of the common European emergency number is needed now more than ever.
On the national level, “The Smile of the Child” operates the National Helpline for Children SOS 1056, the European Hotline for Missing Children 116000 and the European Helpline for Children and Adolescents 116111, thus contributing to the immediate prevention and intervention for every serious problem related to children such as child abuse or neglect, disappearance, trafficking or bullying.
The Lines address children and adults and operate daily, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and are staffed with specialized personnel (social workers and psychologists).
“The Smile of the Child” became the first strictly national Organization in Greece official partner of the Directorate General of the European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations (DG ECHO) in order to provide humanitarian assistance in the country. The Organization has all the tools and infrastructure to provide help and support in emergency situations, including the team of Search and Rescue Team "Thanasis Makris".
- The National Helpline for Children SOS 1056 received 221.152 calls. 37,5% of these calls concerned reports for children at risk.
- Τhe European Helpline for Children and Adolescents 116111 received 6.332 calls.
- The European Helpline for Children and Adolescents 116111 offered counseling services on issues related to children to 3.818 individuals.
- The European Hotline for Missing Children 116000 handled 9.379 calls.