Sustainability Insight for Emerging Markets
Innovation Forum: How business can tackle deforestation
From: 18.04.2018 To: 19.04.2018 Share
Keep targets on track, manage expectations and demonstrate progress
18th-19th April 2018, Washington DC
A two-day conference on the big challenges in tackling deforestation, and the solutions that will scale. Researched and organized by Innovation Forum, held in collaboration with The Nature Conservancy
Building on the themes of recent IF meetings in London and Jakarta, this forum will bring together a range of key stakeholders to discuss the most pressing issues faced by business. The objective is to genuinely drive forward discussion and progress in removing deforestation from company supply chains.
A key theme to this year's discussion will be the likelihood that most companies will miss 2020 targets. We'll take a realistic look at where and why this is happening, whilst debating what should happen next. By bringing together a broad range of businesses, key NGOs, government and finance, the conference presents the multi-stakeholder dialogue that is required to tackle these extensive issues.
The 2018 agenda will address the big issues, including:
- Big companies will miss 2020 zero deforestation targets, so what happens next? A pragmatic discussion around how brands can respond and report on missed targets - and the future role of NGOs
- Forests in climate deals: What the inclusion of forests as part of international agreements on climate change means for business in 2018 and beyond
- Big banks and deforestation: From policy to implementation – hear what banks are (and aren’t) doing to help stop deforestation
Your company’s deforestation strategy:
- Jurisdictional programs: The role of companies in overcoming implementation challenges when scaling efforts
- Procurement behaviour: What are the right policies, programs and strategies for your purchasing colleagues to tackle deforestation
- Forest certification: Certification alone is not effective enough. So, what else is needed and what proportion of your time should certification take up?
- Forest restoration: Above and beyond, or a crucial aspect of responsible business? Explore the business case and benefits of scaling restoration efforts
In-depth, informative case studies:
- Sustainable rubber: Pirelli’s journey in facilitating transformation of the global rubber market and tire supply chain
- The Cocoa and Forests Initiative: What is the outlook, opportunities and challenges in the implementation journey?
- Natural capital: Opportunities and challenges in restoring natural forest capital for the US as the world’s largest wood producing and consuming nation
- Pre-competitive collaboration: Case studies of companies successfully overcoming competitive barriers in pushing toward a common goal
See the full range of topics covered in the agenda here.
For a full list of speakers see here.
What’s different about Innovation Forum?
IF is NOT:
- A PR platform: enthusiastic speakers are NOT given free rein to fill a session presenting their companies, allowing no time to actually get to the crux of the issues.
- A talking shop: this is NOT an opportunity for a group people in a room to simply agree with everything said, regardless of outcomes.
- All promise, no delivery: we will NOT promise what we can’t deliver. The issues covered are complex. They won’t be solved at a two-day conference. But we will help deliver progress through in-depth, constructive and practical advice around specific issues.
- Candid: Entirely off-the-record discussion that enables open and honest disclosure from speakers and genuine participation from the audience.
- Practical: A clear focus on the practical and actionable guidance that can drive change throughout industries and supply chains.
- Focused: We provide enough time, resources and expertise to the issues that really matter. We don’t skate the surface, but get to the crux of the issues to provide in-depth, constructive discussion.
- Learn from industry leaders on best practices and get in-depth guidance on how to effectively apply zero-deforestation policies
- Meet and network with an influential and highly relevant audience of key stakeholders, including NGOs, business, government and supply chain actors
- Benchmark company performance amongst a room of your peers and discover where you should be focusing efforts
Innovation Forum is looking for sponsors who are able to support the forum, as well as associated research and analysis.
For sponsors, this presents the opportunity to support leading debate and progress in addressing deforestation in corporate supply chains, as well as providing a platform to highlight products and services in front of a large, diverse group of key stakeholders.
Contact Lewis Hudson at firstname.lastname@example.org for sponsorship opportunities.
The early bird discount deadline ends Friday 23rd February.
If you are looking to attend the conference with two or more colleagues, please contact Azadeh Ardakani on the details below to secure a group discount.
If you would like to discuss being involved as a speaker, sponsor, media partner or delegate. Please feel free to reach out to the event manager, Azadeh, on the details below.
Azadeh Ardakani, Project Director, +1-604-220-1731