The American College of Greece
Member: Society Premium
6 Gravias Street, Aghia Paraskevi, 153 42 Athens,
Deree: Chartered Institute of Public Relations Specialist Diploma in Crisis Communication
In a world full of challenges, crisis communication skills are not only imperative but they also provide a competitive age to communication professionals who wish to enhance their career. The School of Graduate and Professional Education at Deree-The American College of Greece in collaboration with the Chartered Institute of Public Relations (CIPR), the professional body for the UK public relations industry, is offering a Specialist Diploma in Crisis Communication. Deree-ACG is the first and only CIPR Accredited Teaching Centre in Greece and the only educational institution to offer this specialist diploma. This is an internationally recognized certification that aims to equip professionals with the skills required to develop an expertise in crisis communication management.
A CIPR qualification enjoys global recognition and respect in the field of strategic communication and public relations offering qualified participants the opportunity to join the best professionals in the field. The CIPR Crisis Communication Diploma is an advanced professional qualification, comparable to a Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF) Level 7 (or Postgraduate Level).
This course is open to PR practitioners and communications specialists with a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree and at least one year work experience. It is appropriate for experienced as well as young, aspiring professionals who wish to enhance or validate their skills and qualifications.
Start Date: September 9-11 2019, 6pm
Duration: In-class intensive seminar followed by five months of independent study working towards a final project
Where: The American College of Greece Aghia Paraskevi Campus (6 Gravias Str., 153 42, Aghia Paraskevi)
Language of Instruction: English at proficiency level
This is a hands-on Specialist Diploma awarded by the Chartered Institute of Public Relations (CIPR), which is the professional body for the UK public relations industry. It is designed to provide specialized knowledge on crisis communication and the skills required to identify, prevent and manage effectively potential crises for an organization. The course will enable participants tp prepare and respond effectively to crises and equip them with an international qualification for crisis communication specialists.
Who is this for?
Communication professionals looking to specialize in crisis communication management.
Minimum Entry Requirements
An undergraduate degree from an accredited institution and 12 months work experience.
ACG Alumni: All current students and alumni of the program MA in Strategic Communication & PR and alumni of the BA in Communication at Deree-ACG are eligible to participate, if they meet the work experience requirement.
Alumni of the ACG – MA in Strategic Communication and Public Relations degree may waive part of the seminar attendance requirements.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
1. Apply key concepts in crisis response
- The societal, economic and media crisis context;
- Relevant public relations theories and concepts;
- The roots of reputation; The risks to, and the role and value of, reputation in a crisis;
- Winning trust and the withdrawal of society’s permission to operate;
- The difference between emergency communications and a crisis;
- The crisis and issues lifecycle;
- Identifying and managing key stakeholders in a crisis;
- The influence of social media, groupthink and the active citizen.
2. Apply best practice models including
- Assessing public risk (particularly for public bodies including the precautionary principle);
- Analysing and defining types of crisis;
- Analysing trends in management practice, organisations and their working environments to predict when a crisis might arise;
- The role of the professional practitioner in crisis management and their place in the crisis management team;
- Researching and producing analysis of a crisis communication-related issue or development;
- Managing media and social media in a crisis.
3. Prepare and critically evaluate crisis response, including:
- Establishing a crisis-ready organisation;
- Testing methods and scenarios for crisis plans;
- Strategic and tactical messaging in a crisis;
- Learning from the crisis, and post-crisis reputation repair.
- Types, levels and impact of crises
- The phases of crisis management – pre-crisis, crisis, post-crisis
- Communication planning: strategies and tactics
- Constructing crisis plans
- Managing media and social media in a crisis
- Effective spokespeople
- Demands of the crisis team
- Evaluation of crisis management responses (lessons learned/after action review)
Award of the Diploma
Following the seminar attendance, in order to receive the Diploma, participants need to prepare and submit a 5,000 word assignment (a 3,000 word executive report plus a 2,000 word summary analysis of secondary research findings), which will be graded by Deree instructors and moderated by the CIPR.
There are three assessment submission deadlines to choose from within a 12-month period, providing added flexibility for busy professionals.
Assessment/qualification results will be e-mailed to candidates from the CIPR and candidates can expect to receive their Diploma in Crisis Communications about three to four weeks afterwards.
- Earn an internationally recognized professional qualification from CIPR
- Expand your employment opportunities by specializing in Crisis Communication Management
- Raise your professional profile and status in the field of communication
- Develop hands on knowledge and skills
- Expand your network
Regular participant fee: €1100
Members of ACG Community: €900
Instructor: Tasos Theofilou
Dr Tasos Theofilou is currently a Principal Academic in Public Relations at the Faculty of Media and Communication, at Bournemouth University, UK. He hold a BA in Political Science and Public Administration, specializing in International Relations awarded by the University of Athens, an MBA awarded by the National Technical University of Athens and the Athens University of Economics & Business and finally a PhD awarded by the Athens University of Business & Economics.
His research interests expand on all aspects of Organizational Communication including crisis management, CSR, Public Relations and sponsorship.
Course Director: Dr. Argyro Kefala
Registration Form here.