Alpha Bank S.A.
40, Stadiou Street, GR-102 52 Athens, Greece
Alpha Bank endorses the UNEP FI Principles for Responsible Banking
Alpha Bank is actively involved in the global effort to create a sustainable future for the economy and the planet, by endorsing the six Principles of Responsible Banking established by the United Nations Environment Programme Finance Initiative (UNEP FI), following consultation with the banking community.
The Principles for Responsible Banking which will be formally presented on September 22, 2019 at the UN General Assembly, provide a comprehensive framework for responsible and sustainable banking, across the whole range of banking activities.
In particular, by signing the six Principles of Responsible Banking, banks commit:
1. to align their business strategy in order to contribute to society’s goals, as expressed in the UN Sustainable Development Goals, the Paris Climate Agreement and relevant national and regional frameworks
2. to continuously increase their positive impact in society and the environment, while reducing the risks and negative impacts on people and environment resulting from their activities, products and services
3. to work responsibly with their customers in order to encourage sustainable practices and enable economic activities that create shared prosperity for current and future generations
4. to proactively and responsibly consult and partner with relevant stakeholders in order to achieve society’s goals
5. to implement their commitment to these Principles through effective governance and a culture of responsible banking
6. to periodically review the implementation of these Principles and be transparent about and accountable for the positive and negative impact and their contribution to society’s goals.
Alpha Bank’s CEO Mr. Vassilios Psaltis stated: “At Alpha Bank we are already implementing a range of Corporate Responsibility policies and practices aimed at promoting sustainable development through all areas of our daily operations. By endorsing the six Principles of Responsible Banking as defined by the UNEP FI, of which we are a member since 2004, we are firmly declaring our commitment to create a sustainable banking system and intensifying our collective efforts in this direction, by increasing our positive footprint in society and the environment, leveraging new business opportunities and creating value for all stakeholders”.
More information is available at: www.unepfi.org/responsiblebanking.