SILGAN HOLDINGS INC.
200-202, Thivon Street, GR-182 33, GR-182 33 Ag. I. Renti, Piraeus, Greece
Setting the standard for sustainable solutions.
Sustainability at Silgan Containers encompasses ability to continually identify and meet the changing needs of our customers, ensuring the long-term success of our company and business partners.
There is no food package that is more recyclable than metal cans.
By focusing on the sustainability of our products and operations, we seek to strengthen our standing as a market leader and trusted partner.
While our packages protect and preserve our customers’ products, thanks to their 100% recyclability they are also helping to minimize our impact on the environment.
In today’s environmentally aware marketplace, choosing packaging formats with clear sustainability credentials enables you to minimize resources, thereby reducing costs and delivering a competitive advantage for your company.
HOW RECYCLING STEEL SAVES
- Saves natural resources: Every ton of recycled steel saves 3,600 pounds of CO2, 2,500 pounds of iron ore, 1,400 pounds of coal and 120 pounds of limestone.
- Saves energy: Recycling one ton of aluminum conserves more than 207 million BTUs – the equivalent of 36 barrels of oil or 1,665 gallons of gasoline.
- Reduces waste: Making new steel products from recycled steel reduces water use by 40%, water pollution by 76%, air pollution by 86% and mining waste by 97%.
Solutions for today, protection for tomorrow. Our partners’ success relies on our ability to operate efficiently and effectively. Lean production processes work to reduce energy and resource consumption, greenhouse gas emission and waste generation.
- Between 2000 and 2012, Silgan Containers reduced Hazardous Air Pollutant (HAP) emissions by 76%.
- Silgan is converting from wood to plastic pallets made of recycled materials, saving the equivalent of 133,164 trees spanning across 3,329 acres.
- Silgan Containers' manufacturing plants utilize high energy efficient light systems. The estimated energy conserved in just one year is equivalent to planting 1,476 acres of trees, or removing 1,161 cars from the road or saving 523,000 gallons of gas.
- Silgan Containers backs the Curbside Value Partnership – a community-based recycling program, to further increase an already impressive recycling participation. Since the inception of this program, there has been a 22% average increase in overall recycling volume in 40 partner communities.
- Silgan Containers has reduced Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) emissions by 46.5% since 2000.
- Between 2012 and 2014, Silgan has spent $2 millions on lighting projects that are estimated to save up to 45% in kilowatt hours where new lighting systems have been installed.
By 2050, global population is projected to rise from the 2012 level of more than 7 billion to as many as 10.9 billion people. Unfortunately, a large percentage of the world’s food supply fills our dumpsites instead of our stomachs. With a growing number of people suffering from hunger worldwide and an alarming amount of food waste, we all need to do our part to solve this problem.
Every day, vast quantities of food are damaged or spoiled during transport, at retail stores and in homes. Improving a product’s packaging could significantly reduce the amount of food that is wasted each year around the globe. Because food lasts longer in metal containers and can be used as needed, there is considerably less waste associated with canned foods.
Valuable information on recycling, metal packaging sustainability and the steel industry. Silgan is dedicated to raising awareness of recycling and sustainability within the industry. We connect people to educational, environmental and recycling resources, showing them how they can join us in the fight to spread environmental awareness and help save our planet.