Pediatric Trauma Care (PTC)
Member: NGO Premium
Gytheiou Street 1A, GR-152 31 Halandri, Athens, Greece
The Charity “Pediatric Trauma Care”: Trauma Prevention at Home
Trauma Prevention at Home
Most accidents involving children aged 0-4 years occur at home, as that is where they spend most of their time.
Young children are naturally curious and their sense of danger is not developed, hence it is important when shaping the areas of our home to take into account the children’s age.
By being extra cautious many accidents can be avoided.
To avoid serious injuries:
• Sharp objects, e.g. knives, scissors, needles and tools should be kept out of children’s reach.
• Make the glass doors visible by sticking stickers at the right height. There is also a transparent self-adhesive material that covers any glass surface to avoid serious injury in the event of an accident.
To avoid falls:
• Children should never be left alone on balconies and terraces, and make sure there are appropriate railings.
To avoid electric shocks:
• Use safety sockets or put caps on existing ones.
To avoid burns:
• Never leave children alone near a fireplace, stove or other hot surfaces.
• Use the back part of the hob when cooking and make sure the handles of the pans never protrude.
To avoid poisoning:
• All detergents, medicines, pesticides, paints and solvents must be kept where children cannot reach them.
To avoid drowning and suffocation:
• Children should never be left alone in the bathtub.
• Plastic bags should always be kept where children cannot find them.
• Never leave small items near infants because they might put them in their mouth.
Let’s make our home as safe as possible. Above all, let our children know of the dangers and in what ways they can avoid accidents from an early age by explaining to them the risks involved.
Last but not least, concerning younger children, supervision is the best prevention.
The Charity “Pediatric Trauma Care” is a non-profit organization whose sole purpose is to reduce Children’s Accidents and their severity. As part of the “Education on Trauma Prevention” Program, the Charity holds presentations in Kindergardens and Primary Schools in Attica, educating children, teachers and parents on how to prevent accidents from occurring. Brochures concerning safety tips for various categories of accidents are distributed throughout Greece. To date the presentations of Education on Trauma Prevention have been attended by more than 48,000 children and 3,000 teachers and parents.
For more information about the Program you can contact the Charity on 210-6741 933 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.